It is impossible to imagine life without WiFi these days. You need the internet up-and-running, always raring to go so that you can streamline as many as movies and web series you want to, you can play online games sitting in the best gaming chair and using your favorite gaming keyboard! All this needs a good WiFi connection and good wireless router, if only the latter were that easy! You are practically bombarded with choices and it is a task to pick one among too many of them. Screaming at the top, there are “me-too” wireless routers , then there are some that are simply way out of your reach because of the price tags associated with them such as Netgear R8500 and ASUS AC5300 and some that simply don’t fulfill your needs.
- 1 Top 10 Best Wireless Routers 2017
- 2 Best WiFi Wireless Router Reviews
- 2.1 Netgear Nighthawk R7000 – AC1900 Dual-Band Router : Best WIFI router Under $200
- 2.2 ASUS RT-AC5300 – Tri-Band Wireless Gigabit Router : Best Wifi Router to buy 2017
- 2.3 Amped Wireless RTA2600 Athena Router
- 2.4 TP –Link Archer C7 : Best Budget WiFI Router
- 2.5 D-Link DIR-880L – Dualband AC1900 Gigabit Router : Best Range Wireless Router
- 2.6 Apple AirPort Extreme Base Station
- 2.7 Google WiFi
- 2.8 Netgear Nighthawk R8000 X6 : Top Gaming Router
- 3 Best Wireless Router Buying Guide
- 4 Conclusion
Top 10 Best Wireless Routers 2017
|Device Name||Weight||LAN Port||Wireless Comm||Band||Rating/Check Price|
|NETGEAR Nighthawk R7000 Dual-Band||3.5 pounds||4||802.11ac||Dual-Band||4.3 Out of 5 Star
|Asus RT-AC88U Dual-Band (Editor’s Choice)||2.6 pounds||8||802.11 b/g/n||Dual-Band||3.9 Out of 5 Star
|Amped Wirelss RTA2600 Athena MU-MIMO||2.6 pounds||4||802.11ac||Tri-Band||3.2 Out of 5 Star
|TP-Link Archer C7 Dual-Band||1.9 pounds||4||802.11ac||Dual-Band||4.0 Out of 5 Star
|D-Link DIR 890L Tri-Band||2.5 pounds||4||802.11ac||Tri-Band||3.9 Out of 5 Star
|Apple AirPort Extreme Dual-Band||2.1 pounds||3||802.11ac||Dual-Band||4.6 Out of 5 Star
|Google WiFi System||0.74 pounds||2/point||802.11 a/b/g/n/ac||Dual-Band||4.3 Out of 5 Star
|Netgear Nighthawk R8000 X6||4.11 pounds||6||802.11ac/ad||Tri-Band||4.1 Out of 5 Star
|TP-Link Talon AD7200||4 pounds||4||802.11ad||Multi-Band||4.0 Out of 5 Star
|Netgear Nighthawk R8000 X6||1.8 pounds||4||802.11ac||Tri-Band||4.0 Out of 5 Star
This best wireless router review intends to deliver on what you need. Most importantly, the information you are looking out for and the second, what is the best option available for you, for, you shouldn’t be wasting your time on the number of options as well as money too. Scroll down to read and make an informed decision when you decide to buy wireless router online or offline.
Best WiFi Wireless Router Reviews
The routers were judged and analyzed on three main standpoints which are installation, performance and configuration. The design also played an important part to this selection because we wouldn’t want you to struggle with the bulky and unsightly boxes in the name of wireless routers.
So, here we go!
Netgear Nighthawk R7000 – AC1900 Dual-Band Router : Best WIFI router Under $200
This can easily be termed as the best wireless router under $200. This dual-band router comes from Netgear, a brand that has already established itself for its offering of superlative product lineup of wireless routers. The hardware is top-notch and the performance is simply brilliant. This sturdy looking router offers you 1,300 MPbs speed on a 5Ghz band and 600 Mbps on 2.4Ghz. It is easy to install and affordable too!
It has a minimal look of all-black body and packs in 3-detachable antennas. Some users can find its weight an issue to deal with and that’s entirely true because you would like to free some space for this bulky router. Though, a wireless router is something that you won’t be moving around much so this issue can easily be dealt with. As far as the performance of Netgear Nighthawk R7000 is concerned, it easily takes away the credit of being one of the fastest wireless routers with absolutely no performance hiccups or glitches. It also complies with various bands.
This Netgear wireless router comes with QoS feature that lets you manage the downstream and upstream speed of the Internet connection. The open VPN and open DNS ensure that you have a complete parental control. It also has an enabled DD-WRT, which runs 3rd party Linux-based firmware.
ASUS RT-AC5300 – Tri-Band Wireless Gigabit Router : Best Wifi Router to buy 2017
ASUS RT-AC 5300 looks classy and fully loaded with features. However, the router comes with a price tag that would make you think twice about before buying it but make no mistake as it is totally worth every penny you choose to invest in it.
It has 6 detached antennas and it can also work as an open VPN server or network attached storage. If you are looking for a simple wireless router, you shouldn’t consider this as it is something that a real networking enthusiast may admire and wouldn’t mind paying for it. It is easy to install and its web interface is also very simple. If you are looking for something cheaper from the same brand, you can go for AC 1900 that boasts of some of the capabilities that this router does.
Some users find its bulky size overkill and its lack of multiple LAN ports quite a buzz kill but if you aren’t worried about Ethernet ports much, it is not much of an issue to begin with.
Amped Wireless RTA2600 Athena Router
This Athena router is affordable and does justice to common user as well as hardcore network users. It may come across as rather lackluster and minus the bling but don’t mistake it for just another router as it fares pretty well in all departments of installation and performance.
The control panel is pretty amazing and responsive. It is a minimal router, and doesn’t pack a multitude of features but whatever it does; it excels in all of them. The powerful hardware it carries enables it to provide a lag-free and responsive performance. It is also compact and easy on eyes, unlike its counterparts. It can connect multiple devices and with no lag in speed or performance, whatsoever!
TP –Link Archer C7 : Best Budget WiFI Router
If you are looking for wireless router under $100, you are in luck with this router. The router may seem all plastic-y compared to its expensive peer but it does make a point fair and right with its perfect performance! Whether you want to enjoy online gaming or streaming, it is perfect for the both.
It gives you a combined speed of up to 1.75Gbps. In fact, with all its features at this price, it easily takes the credit of the best budget wireless router that is available out there! Since you aren’t paying much to begin with, be ready to compromise a bit on the build quality. It is an entry-level router and the build isn’t sturdy enough. So, if you drop it once, be prepared for some cracks on the body. It has six antennas, out of which 3 are detached and are based external whereas the 3 of them are internal so that you get pretty good range. The router also features NAS capability but it is strictly average and nothing to write home about. It is large in size and you need to free up quite some space for it.
D-Link DIR-880L – Dualband AC1900 Gigabit Router : Best Range Wireless Router
It is a successor of DIR-890 and is a dual-band router. Though it isn’t as expensive as the previous model and still scores a ten on the features that are far more refined as well as fare well vis-à-vis.
The design isn’t much different so you still get a sleeker and a beautiful router to flaunt. The detachable antennas keep the router compact. Talking about performance, this router does amazingly well with both the bandwidths of 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz and offers superior range with long and stable connection. It comes with D-Link cloud service. However, its interface can take you a little time to understand as it is new yet easy to understand.
Apple AirPort Extreme Base Station
If you are a loyalist of Cupertino Company, here is yet another delight from the maker. Like every other product from Apple, it doesn’t conform to the pre-defined set of shapes and rules. The design is compact and a treat for eyes!
Apple wireless router here is named AirPort Extreme Base Station and every inch the rare combination of style and substance. It support latest WiFi standards and offers stable and long range connection. It is a dual-band router and incredibly fast at it. In all three departments of design, installation and performance, the router is at par! However, there have been no major or substantial upgrades to it, which prove to be real pain point given that the OEM is quite pro-active with them for its other devices.
Google takes our heart and of course, money away with its offering. This beautiful round piece of beauty isn’t anything like what we see or know WiFi wireless routers as. You can put it in a corner and it will simply woo and become the center point of your décor. It is the advanced wireless mesh and not a mundane device. It is easy to configure. In fact, it won’t even take more than 5 minutes to set it up. Just connect it over Ethernet and log in using your password and username and you are good to go!
It also features traffic prioritization so that you can manage your bandwidth as and when you need it. For instance, you need more bandwidth when you are gaming online or playing a 4K video. The WIFi extender by Google does exactly that! However, you may have to invest in more than two units to utilize its function completely but it is worth it!
Netgear Nighthawk R8000 X6 : Top Gaming Router
If you are looking for best wireless router for gaming and video streaming specifically, then Netgear Nighthawk R8000 X6 is your go-to option. You can also settle for an upgrade version of Nighthawk AC3200 if you want something better and don’t want to settle on the basic model. It is a tri-band router and expensive given its features.
Best Wireless Router Buying Guide
Handy Buying Guide to Buy Wireless Router in 2017
If you have been looking for information on how to buy wireless router or the criteria that could help you choose the right one. With different routers offering different features, speeds and WiFi standards, you get plenty of choices that could make you at your wits’ ends!
Understanding a Wireless Router
- A wireless router has three major points, a router, network switch and wireless access point. The router manages and directs traffic to the different devices that are connected to your network. A router is basically a device that sends data from one network to another.
- A network switch is the connecting point, which connects the devices over Ethernet cables.
- A wireless access point is the part that consists of an antenna used to transmit and receive signals.
- A dual band router is the most common among the wireless router. They can operate on two frequencies namely 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz. Similarly a trial band supports three frequencies. However, tri-band wireless routers haven’t got any momentum so far in the market but this hasn’t stopped the makers to experiment with and launch new technologies as well as models in the market.
- N600 Routers give you a combines the speed of 600Mbps and you get two speeds of 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz. These are old school and aren’t suitable for high-speed internet we are used to these days.
- The successor of N600 routers is N900 router. These upgraded models of WiFi routers bring you a speed of 900 Mbps evenly divided between the speeds of the said bands.
- Routers like AC1750, AC1900, AC3250 , AC5300 and DD-WRT are designed to give you a speed of 1,750 Mbps. The speed of 450 Mbps is slotted for 2.4 GHz band and the rest of 1,300 Mbps is for 5 GHz.
- When you use a wireless router, you get a unique IP address that shields you from security threats like hacking and malware attack. This unique ID is different for every device you choose to connect with WiFi.
- The best wireless router is easy to install and set up won’t take more than 10 minutes. It shouldn’t take much space either and should be easy to move as well. It shouldn’t use many cables either otherwise there is no point in calling it one.
- For wireless routers with NAS, you should look for one that support external hard drive so that you can connect to the port and store data. Plug-n-Play we mean!
- Usually every WiFi router comes with DLNA support, which ensures that you can manage and control media over the network. Be it audio or video, you can manage the files using the network. Many routers also feature shared printing, backup servers and USB port.
The market of wireless router can send you into dizzy and this makes finding the best wireless router that fulfills all your expectations and needs perfectly, quite an arduous task. This buying guide for wireless routers and perfectly created wireless router review make for the best start. Here we help you to find the best wireless router with the power of knowledge as per your need and budget. Always remember any router that fits your bill perfectly, money wise too, is the best wireless router for you!